Friday, October 28, 2011

John Sousa, the great aphorist

These talking machines are going to ruin the artistic development of music in this country. When I was a boy... in front of every house in the summer evenings, you would find young people together singing the songs of the day or old songs. Today you hear these infernal machines going night and day. We will not have a vocal cord left. The vocal cord will be eliminated by a process of evolution, as was the tail of man when he came from the ape. - A submission to a 1906 congressional hearing. @

Also, Sousa on music piracy (a letter to the editor).

I also stumbled on a lengthy article how Victor, makers of the "talking machines," created its own audience - on the social construction of listening to recorded music. Good stuff; did not finish it yet though.

4 comments:

  1. Great Post!!
    Hi, my name is Jorge and I recently published on Zeronoize netlabel an EP entitled "Ad nutum" with the pseudonym of Satisfacción Lab, the style could be described as a cross between musique concrete, noise, tape music and dark psychedelia. If you want,I'll can send you the link to download it, listen it and if you are convinced, it would be an honor to be on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jorge, thank you for your offer. I cannot promise that I will post it here, as I am not too big on noise/tape music; but I would be glad to hear it. You can contact me at whatsinmyipod AT gmail

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check http://everythingaboutrecords.blogspot.com/ ....

    ReplyDelete